Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Legend Player Value Calculations  (Read 7603 times)

serramonte

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Legend Player Value Calculations
« on: August 22, 2014, 09:34:16 AM »
Dear all,

As some of you were discussing that you wanted to know about how the Legend players are calculated, I'm posting the calculations here:
Note: The stats are for the entire career.

Batters:
R: R*20 / (G/6)
H: H*10 / (G/6)
RBI: RBI*15 / (G/6)
AB: AB*5 / (G/6)
HR: HR*50 / (G/6)

Pitchers:
SO*15 / (G/6) + (600-ERA)/2

Please keep in mind that there are 2 players that still need to be updated as there was an issue keeping the values from being added properly.
  • Jim Edmonds - 347 --> he will soon be changed to 348
  • Jorge Posada - 305 --> he will soon be changed to 311

Sullly

• View Profile
Re: Legend Player Value Calculations
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 02:55:56 PM »
Is this the same formula we can expect for end of the season ratings?

Sullly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 08:13:52 PM »
I got a little bored so I decided to take the top 1000 players with the most games played all time from mlb.com and figure out what there ratings would be here are the top 25 for IF, OF and C. I'll try to do Pitchers later.

IF

442    Gehrig, L   1B
426    Greenberg, H   1B
418    Rodriguez, A   3B
413    Pujols, A   1B
408    Foxx, J   1B
401    Brouthers, D   1B
396    Stovey, H   1B
394    Cabrera, M   1B
387    McGwire, M   1B
387    Howard, R   1B
385    Bagwell, J   1B
382    Teixeira, M   1B
380    Thomas, F   1B
377    Trosky, H   1B
377    Delgado, C   1B
377    Anson, C   1B
376    Richardson, H   2B
374    Garciaparra, N   SS
373    Hornsby, R   2B
373    Ortiz, D   DH
371    Vaughn, M   1B
369    Connor, R   1B
366    Jones, C   3B
365    Allen, D   1B
364    Palmeiro, R   1B

OF
439    Ruth, B   OF
433    DiMaggio, J   CF
429    Thompson, S   OF
413    Gonzalez, J   RF
405    Williams, T   LF
404    Belle, A   RF
400    Delahanty, E   LF
399    Ramirez, M   LF
395    Simmons, A   LF
394    Duffy, H   OF
392    Aaron, H   RF
390    Sosa, S   RF
388    Canseco, J   RF
386    Guerrero, V   RF
384    Bonds, B   LF
382    Kiner, R   LF
381    Kelly, K   RF
381    Mays, W   CF
381    Averill, E   CF
380    Griffey, K   CF
378    Rice, J   OF
377    Hamilton, B   OF
375    Klein, C   OF
375    Wilson, H   OF
375    Tiernan, M   OF

C
376    Ewing, B   C
371    Piazza, M   C
346    Berra, Y   C
336    Bench, J   C
330    Cochrane, M   C
329    Dickey, B   C
328    Rodriguez, I   C
325    Lopez, J   C
316    Fisk, C   C
311    Posada, J   C
309    Parrish, L   C
307    Torre, J   C
305    Munson, T   C
303    Miller, D   C
303    Carter, G   C
300    Simmons, T   C
296    Hartnett, G   C
295    Farrell, D   C
292    Tettleton, M   C
286    Pierzynski, A   C
285    Steinbach, T   C
283    Molina, B   C
283    Varitek, J   C
282    Cooper, W   C
282    Santiago, B   C

The overalls might be off by 1 or 2 depending on rounding but it gives you a general idea. This list contains both active and retired players.

serramonte

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 08:22:34 AM »
Is this the same formula we can expect for end of the season ratings?

Hey Sully,
The legend player value will be the same, during the season and after as they only have their career average.
The only thing that will change is the Current players' values will most likely go to their season average at the end of the season as they will no longer be playing games.

SandmanEnter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 09:56:09 AM »
Outstanding, Sully! Thanks for the estimated calculations.
Freaking BORING!!!!

Nasty_Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 07:47:24 AM »
Man that scoring system is so broken Serramonte.

We have to fix the scoring system for this game, in respect towards legends.

I'll just point out a few flaws and use the scoring system in game to show you.

My most obvious and easiest to spot is the Catchers slot.

Most historians and players can agree that Johnny Bench is the greatest Catcher of all time. That's not even a debatable question.

The next 5 slots are always between these 5 players:

• Josh Gibson
• Roy Campanella
• Mike Piazza
• Ivan Rodriguez
• Yogi Berra

And I believe the scoring system in this game should reflect real life rankings.

There's also a couple of guys with 5+ All Star nods, 2+ Silver Slugger awards, and 2+ Gold Glove awards that don't even appear on the catching list.

I'll sort it out and compare them vs. The rankings Sully did to show the scoring system is screwed up.

I think the rating system just needs to be set from best to worst and rank them accordingly to other players in the game who are retired.

So that nobody laughs when they see Jose Canseco being ranked higher than Willie Mays, a legitimate Top 10 Player all time.

Or the fact one of the game's greatest hitters and Icon of one of Baseball's most important city and baseball in general, doesn't even show up in the rankings but he's considered a Top 10 hitter of all time, Stan Musial.

Do you know how many St. Louis fans would be insulted to find out Albert Belle is rated so much higher than Stan Musial?
Baseball GM: 2XUMNQJOPQ
Basketball GM: 44PNT5ZZT
2015 Basketball: sggJn7Ya
Football GM: 1x7kVBCVvp

serramonte

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 08:17:12 AM »
Man that scoring system is so broken Serramonte.

We have to fix the scoring system for this game, in respect towards legends.

I'll just point out a few flaws and use the scoring system in game to show you.

My most obvious and easiest to spot is the Catchers slot.

Most historians and players can agree that Johnny Bench is the greatest Catcher of all time. That's not even a debatable question.

The next 5 slots are always between these 5 players:

• Josh Gibson
• Roy Campanella
• Mike Piazza
• Ivan Rodriguez
• Yogi Berra

And I believe the scoring system in this game should reflect real life rankings.

There's also a couple of guys with 5+ All Star nods, 2+ Silver Slugger awards, and 2+ Gold Glove awards that don't even appear on the catching list.

I'll sort it out and compare them vs. The rankings Sully did to show the scoring system is screwed up.

I think the rating system just needs to be set from best to worst and rank them accordingly to other players in the game who are retired.

So that nobody laughs when they see Jose Canseco being ranked higher than Willie Mays, a legitimate Top 10 Player all time.

Or the fact one of the game's greatest hitters and Icon of one of Baseball's most important city and baseball in general, doesn't even show up in the rankings but he's considered a Top 10 hitter of all time, Stan Musial.

Do you know how many St. Louis fans would be insulted to find out Albert Belle is rated so much higher than Stan Musial?

The scoring system is based on real life statistics and that is how it is in all of our games and it is based on what is shown in the Recent Performance tab in the "MORE" section. Also I never sent a list of Catchers or the other legends that will be in the game so I'm not sure what you're referencing, for example when you discuss Albert Belle having a higher score than Stan Musial? Please keep in mind, as I've said this already a bunch of times, there are many players that we cannot use and many things we cannot do or show in the game because we don't have the official MLB license. Since we're working with the MLBPA, due to agreement difficulties with the MLB, we are very limited. Also, the MLBPAA sent us a list of players we can use and many of the great players you're referring to, aren't on the list and we cannot have them in the game.

Anyway, if you think there is a calculation error for one of the players in the game, please bring it to our attention and we will check into it. Thanks!

Nasty_Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 01:36:16 AM »
Serramonte,

The game's scoring system does not factor in eras in which they played, all stats, dominance, short careers, long careers, shortened careers by injuries and not just by their career averages alone. That doesn't tell the whole story.

A Glaring Example, according to the stats Sully put up with most of the Top ?100-200? batters of all time, Nomar Garciaparra would rank highest amongst the Shortstops.

It isn't even an argument, if he's a Top 5 Shortstop all time. Its the non-argument again of if he goes into the Hall of Fame. The answers are No and No.

The glaring question is, how do you rank him against the Top 2 Shortstops of all time that 1 was a 1st Ballot Hall of Famer and 1 was so good, he was inducted into the Hall of Fame with Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb. So Honus Wagner and Ernie Banks being ranked lower than Garciaparra would be a real headscratcher.

• Pre-1970ish, Pitchers had higher win and strikeout counts because they played more games. No relief Pitchers. No 5 man rotations.
• The 90's and 2000's was dominated by Steroid Use and a record number of nobodys was hitting 50 HRs.
• Careers cut short by injuries meaning higher averages like Sandy Koufax and Lou Gehrig
• Guys who retired with short careers like Joe Dimmaggio.
• Guys playing extremely long years like Nolan Ryan who would rank low bc of that.
• Guys who hung around too long and not doing much like Babe Ruth, that dropped his average.

So basically:

• Ruth's first 4 years, he hit but pitched more and last 2 he didn't play much. Cut those out and he probably has a 525 rating. Dimaggio is not 6 rating points behind Ruth. Dimaggio only played 13 years. Ruth's 6 years, 4 of which he was a dominating pitcher, is counted against him as a hitter.

• Larry Walker would have extremely high ratings because he played at Coors Field and in the steroids era and I'm sure he didn't make the list because Sully forgot about him because he isn't on anybody's Top 200 lists.

• Smoky Joe Wood would have one of the highest stats in this game but he isn't qualified for the Hall of Fame bc of the era and shortness of his career.

• From 1920 til 1990, there was 18 different 50 HRs seasons occurred. (Babe Ruth being 1st and Cecil Fielder being last.)

• From 1995 til 2002, a span of 7 seasons, 18 different 50 HRs seasons occurred.

Not saying you're wrong. I'm saying the scoring system is wrong for retired players and does not reflect any bearing of Baseball or it's history or knowledge, whatsoever.

Baseball GM: 2XUMNQJOPQ
Basketball GM: 44PNT5ZZT
2015 Basketball: sggJn7Ya
Football GM: 1x7kVBCVvp

bjc00

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 02:40:05 AM »
How often do legend player come up for purchase and why not more often?

serramonte

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 09:40:03 AM »
How often do legend player come up for purchase and why not more often?

We're working on getting new legends out soon. They should be appearing still, but I'll check into to see if some more can come out.
Thanks,

cms24748

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 08:21:38 AM »
Does anyone have a list of the Legend Players that are in the game?
1xhtnFyYqK ----- MLB

cms24748

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 08:36:25 AM »
Does anyone have a list of the Legend Players that are in the game?

Never mind, I found a list. Geez, there needs to be more catchers on it.
1xhtnFyYqK ----- MLB

bscm80

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 04:59:22 PM »
I just did the math, and it looks like Derek Jeter's legend rating will be 253 if they eventually re-categorize him into a "legend."

Can someone verify that for me? I have him on my roster now, in hopes that this will happen, but if he's only going to be rated 253, I'm just going to drop him.
Quick adds: 1xvKgnDabT

serramonte

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 05:25:38 PM »
I just did the math, and it looks like Derek Jeter's legend rating will be 253 if they eventually re-categorize him into a "legend."

Can someone verify that for me? I have him on my roster now, in hopes that this will happen, but if he's only going to be rated 253, I'm just going to drop him.

Since Jeter is no longer playing in the MLB, his value is 0. At the moment he's not going to be categorized as a legend but we are talking with the MLBPA to see if we can add him in as a legend soon. If/When we can work that out, I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

SamJo

• Why so mean, why smite me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2015, 05:37:44 PM »

Since Jeter is no longer playing in the MLB, his value is 0. At the moment he's not going to be categorized as a legend but we are talking with the MLBPA to see if we can add him in as a legend soon. If/When we can work that out, I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

Jeter's player value should be 353.  I have in at level 50 and plan to keep him whether he is made a legend or not.
1NSfCi5Z<---- NBA GM 2014 fan code (RIP!!!)
2xHPgLZvQF <---- Baseball GM fan code

From The Bench Games

You can contact our customer service here, remind to always enclose your account's details when submitting a request.